This salad is light and refreshing on a thousand degree day like it was today (I exaggerate – it was like 84, but in my defense, it IS still January). Anyway… it’s light BUT it’s packed with protein, healthy fats, and a BUNCH of fiber so you won’t end your meal feeling hungry.
I don’t know when kale became “basic” or a has been superfood. I mean just because it got a lot of attention and received a rapid rise to fame in a very short amount of time, does not mitigate it’s value. It’s still full of fiber, packs a punch of vitamins and is just all around good for ya. (I’ll let you do the research on why… I’m making recipes here).
Anyway… with all that said, here’s my Kale & Quinoa salad. I made this for 1 serving so if you want to make larger portions, just multiply the recipe as needed.
Here’s to your health!
- 1.5 Cups Finely Chopped Kale (Loosely Packed)
- 1 Cup Cooked Quinoa, Cooled
- 3 Pieces of Dried Apricot (Roughly Chopped)
- 1 Heaping Tsp of Finely Diced Red Onion
- 2 TBS Sliced Jicama
- 1/2 Cup Cooked, Rinsed Garbanzo Beans (I use S&W Low Sodium Canned Beans – just very convenient)
- 16 Raw Whole Almonds
- 1/4 Haas Avocado
- 1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Kosher Salt
- 4 TBS Lemon Mint Dressing
- In a hot pan, toast almonds on the stove until you see a little color each side. Stir often and DO NOT leave unattended as they can go from perfectly toasted to burned in a blink of an eye.
- Once toasted, slide the almonds onto a wooden board to cool.
- In the same pan, on high heat, add garbanzo beans, black pepper, salt, smoked paprika, and garlic powder. Stir with a wooden spoon until all the beans are coated in the spices.
- Once the initial liquid from the beans has evaporated, turn heat down to simmer and let toast away… just keep an eye on them and stir occasionally.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add chopped kale, dried apricot, red onion, and jicama, and cooked quinoa. Mix thoroughly.
- Mix in about 4 TBS (or to taste) of Lemon Mint Dressing and top with the toasted garbanzo beams, almonds, and avocado quarter.
- Now eat and revel in how good this tastes and how healthy it is for you and how you won’t feel regret after you eat this ginormous bowl of salad.