Tonight’s dinner for the Mr. is a brown rice salad with grilled chili and “chick-un” (that’s chicken that’s plant based and not actually coming from a chicken).
Thought I’d give it a bit of an Asian flair with a sesame dressing. Note, I skewered my chili and chick-un for some extra pizazz but you can totally just put it on top of the salad and call it a day :P.
- 1 Cup Cooked Room Temp Brown Rice (Tip: Brown rice freezes really well. Make a large batch and freeze in portions so you can have it on hand whenever you need it – for this recipe I took out my rice from the freezer this morning and it was thawed and ready in the evening for dinner.)
- 1/2 Cup Zucchini, Diced into 1/4″ Cubes
- 1/3 Packed Cup Chopped Broccoli
- 1 Portobello Mushroom Cap Diced into 1/4″ Cubes
- 1/4 Tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 Avocado (Thinly Sliced)
- 1 Red Radish (Thinly Sliced)
- 1 Poblano Chili
- 6 Chick-Un Nugget Pieces (I Use Gardein Brand)
- 1 TSP Vegetable Oil
- 1 Serving of Sesame Dressing
- On an open flame, char the poblano chili until black all around.
- Once charred, place into a plastic bag and close it up. Set aside.
- In a hot sauté pan, add mushroom, zucchini, and broccoli along with he salt, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Cook on high heat, stirring occasionally until brown and just tender, about 5 minutes. If the pan gets too dry, add a TBS of water and stir to deglaze the bits of flavor from the bottom.
- In a large mixing bowl, add cooked veggies and room temp brown rice. Set aside.
- You can use a new saucepan or just rinse out the first one 🙂 but in a small saucepan, heat on high. Add the vegetable oil.
- TIP: Since we’re just trying to make sure the chick-un won’t stick, I use a paper towel to wipe the pan with the oil and soak up all the excess. That way you create a nice non stick area without really adding fats. OR if you have one, just use a nonstick pan and omit the oil altogether. (I don’t have one).
- Lower the heat to medium and add the chick-un pieces. Cook on each side for about 2 minutes or until toasted. Set aside.
- Going back to your chili in the bag, open up the bag and under cold running water, gently peel off the charred skin, revealing the silky flesh of the pepper.
- Cut off the top of the chili and clean out the seeds and rib of the chili. We only want the flavor, not the heat.
- Slice the chili into long 1 inch strips and wrap around the chick-un. Skewer and set aside.
- Get the mixing bowl with the veggies and the rice and stir in the sesame dressing. Transfer to smaller serving bowl.
- Add the avocado and sliced radish, then top with the skewered chick-un and chili. Now eat! and of course… Enjoy!